While you wait for Diablo 4 and Cyberpunk 2077, The Ascent is here to mash both of them up in this new developer walkthrough. If you missed it before, The Ascent is a co-op action RPG very much in the vein of Blizzard's beloved series, only it's all set in the dingy neon backdrop of a Bladerunner-like world.
The game was previously without a release date, but today Curve Digital has confirmed the game will arrive in 2021. As it was part of the Xbox showcase from May, it's one of many games already revealed as a day-one title for Xbox Game Pass. It's also a timed-exclusive for the Microsoft family of platforms, including Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and PC. There's no word yet on whether it will be playable via the cloud on Android devices.
You can see it in action in a nearly five-minute developer walkthrough below. Keep in mind as you see its gorgeous lighting and environments that this is somehow a game from a team of just 11 developers. Impressive.
The Ascent introduces an original cyberpunk story, which you can read more about from the team directly.
The Ascent will see players dive into ‘The Ascent Group’ arcology, a self-contained corporate-run metropolis, stretching high into the sky and filled with creatures from all over the galaxy. Taking on the role of an indentured worker, the world starts to go haywire when The Ascent Group shuts down for unknown reasons. Life becomes a case of survival, with rival corporations and crime syndicates looking to fill the empty space. Players will have to take up arms and hold them off. The Ascent begins here.
Some of the features the team at Neon Giant say the game will launch with in 2021 include:
- A free-roam play style in a cyberpunk-inspired dystopian world
- Classic RPG mechanics to enable players to build up their character including cyberwear, augmentations and looting
- An unprecedented sense of verticality within its world, with different levels and platforms discernible within play
- Double-aim mechanic enables players to utilise the full screen and choose between multiple targets anywhere in the environment
- A narrative-led adventure playable in single and up to four-player co-op modes
We're without a firm launch date beyond the year, but if you're a Game pass member, look for it to appear in your queue on that exact day sometime in the new year.