Digital Spy's Reviews
It's easy to get a kick out of seeing how high the scores can get, but the game is as much about the gambles you take and the planning along the way. There's a deceptive simplicity to Balatro due to its roots in poker, and it uses that to its advantage to reel you in while regularly finding new ways to surprise you.
Another Code: Recollection is a heartfelt experience that’s unique and fun, despite it not being the most challenging game around, and it's hard not to recommend. Now, let’s hope we see Hotel Dusk and its sequel Last Window released in a similar package soon!
The bottom line feels as disappointing as the game itself. Rocksteady has a game on their hands that’s 20% filled with flair, flourish and joyous moments, but is bogged down by the other 80%, with braindead live-service stuff that no one really asked for and that might have been influenced by the publisher.
After 2023, a year in which the games industry saw so many people removed from their jobs due to what can only really be seen as corporate greed and an obsession with profits before people, assets before art, it’s good to see a big studio create something smaller but no less special. And we can only hope this happens more often and leads to a more stable industry for the talented and passionate people that makes these things possible.
There are glimpses in here where some of the potential shines through, but not enough. Held back by a lack of depth and polish, the big selling points of the expansion struggle to flourish, resulting in a pack that's underwhelming despite its initial promise.
If you play Call of Duty for the campaigns, you might be disappointed, but if you're like pretty much everyone else and play everything else the smash-hit franchise has to offer, it might be a fun distraction. However, if you're totally new, it's probably not worth your time just for this. In fact, the question is more likely: does Call of Duty even need a campaign mode anymore?
Alan Wake 2 is a bold and confident follow-up to its original, and worth the wait in every way. Remedy has crafted something timeless that will be talked about for a long time and has unexpectedly become the game to beat in the survival horror genre. Surreal, tense, funny, absurd and nerve-wracking all at once, Alan Wake 2 is a game all of its own and one you really should experience.
The Talos Principle 2 builds on the genius puzzle design of the first game in innovative ways that makes it another masterpiece in the genre. Even with a more story-driven focus, there's nothing else quite like experiencing every mystery its sublime world has to offer.
RoboCop: Rogue City is a blast to play for long-time fans of the franchise and goes above and beyond to respect its source material. It won't win any awards for being ground-breaking, but Peter Weller offering his voice to a story that's arguably the best use of the RoboCop name since the original film makes this a worthwhile treat for those who want to be transported back to their childhood.
It is a game that tries to evoke a feeling of discovery at every possible turn, but in doing so loses the element of wonder fairly quickly. Instead, Wonder's strongest moments are when it takes a breather, taking the time to set the scene while letting the platforming do the talking.
It's a game that, I think, is newcomer-friendly and a good starting point if you've ever wanted to give the series or the sim racing genre a go. There will obviously be more to like for car fans, but this also comes across as a polished title that's considerate towards newer players.
Bomb Rush Cyberfunk is a modernised love letter to Jet Set Radio that combines fun and stylistic gameplay, with a kaleidoscope of updated Dreamcast-era visuals and sound to create a sequel in everything but name. We may never see Sega release another Jet Set Radio again, but this is the next best thing and an exciting foundation for the future.