Sudden Strike 4: European Battlefields Edition
Developer: Kite Games
Genre: Real-Time Strategy
Sudden Strike 4 sends you off on three extensive campaigns set amongst the battlefields of World War II. Commanding the British and American, German or Soviet troops, you will lead over 100 different units into battle; including the notorious German Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger or the Russian T-34 battle tank.
In Sudden Strike 4: Road to Dunkirk, relive the battles leading up to one of the world‘s most daring military rescue missions – the evacuation of British Expeditionary Forces and French soldiers from German superior numbers in 1940.
Based on the events of the Russian advances on Finland during and after the Winter War, up until the Vyborg Offensive in 1944, the Finland - Winter Storm add-on centers around the most iconic Finnish vs. Soviet military conflicts during World War II.
With a total of 31 missions across 5 demanding campaigns and more than 120 authentic military units, Sudden Strike 4: European Battlefields Edition provides hundreds of hours’ worth of strategic challenges. Exploit the weak spots of enemy tanks, set up the perfect ambush, occupy buildings with infantry, outmaneuver the enemy or unleash devastating air strikes – how you approach each mission is up to you!
• Sudden Strike 4: European Battlefields Edition offers realistic real-time strategy gameplay with tactical depth and a historical setting.
• The ultimate Sudden Strike experience for the first time on Xbox One, including 3 exclusive maps.
• The main game and all included add-ons offer 5 campaigns with over 30 missions to test your tactical skills.
• Command German and Russian forces in the Battle of Kursk - one of the largest tank battles of World War II!
• Sudden Strike 4: Road to Dunkirk features 4 new missions, 2 new commanders and 10 all-new units, as well as additional buildings and ships.
• Finland - Winter Storm features 6 new missions, 3 new commanders, and 19 all-new vehicles, along with additional buildings and units.
• Adapt and refine the military doctrines of 14 renowned commanders, such as Heinz Guderian, George S. Patton or Charles de Gaulle.
• Pit yourself against other commanders or a challenging enemy AI in the competitive multiplayer modes across a total of 20 maps.
Sudden Strike 4 - European Battlefields Edition Short Trailer (US)
Fans of real-time strategy games have a great console game to experience, even if it is a more streamlined approach to the genre. While I will admit that this may be a turn-off for some hardcore fans, I did enjoy my time with the game. With that said, I miss out of earning three stars on some missions due to the game slowing down when moving around some of the larger maps.
Sudden Strike 4 is the best strategy game released for Xbox One or even Xbox in general. It combines good old complexity of Sudden Strike games with great UI design done by people who held controllers in their hands. It's not the same as playing the game hunched over your keyboard, but it's close enough. I just wished it was Xbox Play Anywhere enabled.
Review in Polish | Read full review
As Sudden Strike 4: European Battlefields provides gamers with the core game as well as the Road to Dunkirk and Finland - Winter Storm campaigns, fans of the tactical RTS genre will have plenty to keep them busy and when the campaigns have been beaten, there are plenty of maps (13) to play in the single-player Skirmish mode or various multiplayer modes to enjoy (not my personal cup of tea, but they are enjoyable to those in the mind for classic skirmish or Domination modes). The excellent focus on tactics and intelligent aggression combined with stunningly rebuilt late-1930's to mid-1940's battlefields, Sudden Strike 4: European Battlefields should be lauded for its successful adaptation of the RTS genre on console. Now if only others would follow suit …