Modern Combat Blackout
Top Critic Average
Genres: Action, Adventure
Pick from 9 customisable classes and fight around the world in thrilling 12-player online battles, or in the engaging offline story mode. Find friends and join a squad that fights together, or go it alone like a true commando. However you play, you’ll unlock potent new skills and a variety of gear as you progress.
- Deploy for epic clashes in Team Battle and Free-for-All matches online.
- Up to 12 players can deploy for simultaneous battle.
- Take the fight to 9 unique maps, from the gorgeous canals of Venice to the neon streets of Tokyo.
- Rise to the top of the Player and Squad Leaderboards.
- Win cool rewards in the limited-time events.
INTENSE SOLO CAMPAIGN
- Fast-paced story missions with various challenges taking you from Tokyo to Venice.
- Play the challenging Spec Ops missions for a real adrenaline rush.
- Flawless graphics and music, optimised specifically for the Nintendo Switch, with voice performances seamlessly integrated into each cutscene.
CHOOSE YOUR FAVOURITE CLASS
- Choose from 9 customisable classes that you can level up across single- and multiplayer modes.
- Find the playstyle that suits you: Assault, Heavy, Recon, Sniper, Support, Bounty Hunter, Sapper, X1-Morph or Kommander.
CUSTOMISE FOR COMBAT
- Attach Trinkets to your weapons to add personal flair.
- Choose a camo design for your gear to have a unique presence on the battlefield.
- Intuitive, highly customisable controls allow you to play just the way you want.
2 MODES -- 1 PROGRESSION
- Accumulate XP and level up by playing both single-player missions and multiplayer matches.
- Unlock new weapons as you master your initial arsenal.
- Customise the perfect weapon using a host of attachments.
Modern Combat Blackout is a decent step forward for the series on mobile, but in the presence of DOOM, Wolfenstein II, Paladins and even Payday 2, it simply doesn't stack up. There's plenty to appreciate here – the integration of single-player missions, Spec Ops challenges and multiplayer matches into one hub is a really great feature, but the mediocre gameplay and mobile-centric quality levels really water those positives down. Modern Combat could be a great series on Switch, but only if it's built for the system from the ground up, and not clumsily ported from mobile.
This just has the distinction of being the only military shooter on the platform. If that’s what you’re looking for, this will keep you entertained in short bursts before you peter out. Otherwise, spend time on something like Doom or Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus instead.