Top Critic Average
Developer: Fantastico Studio
Enter the cockpit, ready your weapons, and prepare for the ultimate galactic showdown.
- 20 weapons, 37 powerups, 13 deadly drones, 8 amazing power-up combos, and the ultimate space-bending move: the "Black Paradox"
- 62 different enemies, each with its own attack patterns
- 14 deadly bosses with unique attacks + 1 secret boss
- Upgrade your stats and unlock new powers
- 2 player local co-op
- Amazing pixel art, an awesome synth-wave soundtrack
- An extra hardcore boss rush mode to unlock
Black Paradox | Trailer | PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Steam
It's endlessly repetitive, has an unfair upgrade system, the gameplay is relentlessly unforgiving, and yet I've been playing the game constantly. Black Paradox has that magic 'one more go' element, and whilst it's tough, the fact that you progress just a smidgen further each time, learning a new attack pattern or safe space, means you just have to keep on playing. Recommended to hardcore shooter fans, casual gamers may find it just too difficult.
Looking at screenshots, and playing the game briefly, it does not seem like it might be as good as it actually is. But there is something oddly addicting trying 'just one more time' to get further. The progression could use some quickening, and other things could use expanding; but the flair the game possesses is hard to deny. Really the only thing stopping this from a higher score is the lack of depth, such as a story, better upgrade systems, or anything along these lines, but for what it is, it is surprisingly solid.