Dragon Star Varnir
Top Critic Average
Developer: IDEA Factory
Genres: Action, RPG
- Fight enemies midair in a unique, vertically-oriented battle system. Strategically position your party at different tiers to attack and disable the enemy's skills, one level at a time!
- Perform enough attacks to unleash the dragon within, transforming each character to unlock devastating skills and newfound strength during battle!
- Weaken an enemy dragon to devour its element! When the element is pierced into a character, they can absorb that dragon's skill tree. But at what cost...?
- Three witches depend on you to bring them dragon's blood as food. Starve them, and they go mad. Overfeed them, and they become a dragon!
- Will you keep the witches alive, or sacrifice them to obtain ultra rare items and skills? Your choices will change the game's endings!
Dragon Star Varnir™ - Overview Trailer (NA)
Dragon Star Varnir™ - Battle System Trailer
Dragon Star Varnir - Opening Movie Trailer (NA)
If you love these small, niche JRPGs and can snag a copy of Dragon Star Varnir at a discount, I'd say pick it up. The $60 price point for recycled assets and a game that has more reading than voice over just seems a little too steep for me. But hey, that's just one girl's opinion.
Dragon Star Varnir isn’t perfect. The narrative starts out pretty rough and the environs can also look dated at times. Despite those shortcomings, the storytelling also has powerful moments and forces you to mull over some tough choices. The witch designs are also neat and its dragon-devouring mechanic also has a bit of a Pokemon vibe to it that will make you want to catch ‘em all. Dragon Star Varnir may not provide the best of first impressions. Give it some time, however, and you might find a game that pleasantly surprises you in the end.