Mutant Football League
Top Critic Average
Developer: Digital Dreams Entertainment LLC
Genres: Action, Sports
Fantastical arenas full of ruthless fans and deadly traps set the stage for mayhem in every contest that allows players to win by highest score or by killing and eradicating their opponents - a feat made easier as teams use their unique Dirty Tricks such as Bribe the Ref to overturn a call or having a player become [Ginormous] (ginormous) to grow in size and pummel the puny combatants in their path. Whenever a game begins you’ll quickly discover the only predictable element is broken bones.
Mutant Football League (MFL) is the bloody-fun, next-gen, successor to arcade-style American football games, taking inspiration from over-the-top sports games such as NFL Blitz and the Sega Genesis classic, Mutant League Football. Digital Dreams' MFL game delivers deep strategic 7-on-7 gameplay, with bone-crunching, tooth-shattering, head splitting hits, and a roster of comical ghouls delivering tongue-through-cheek humor. Oh, and blood. Lots of blood.
Features of MFL include:
– Two player online or four player local MULTIPLAYER gives you the choice to clobber one another or team up and crush opposing miscreants.
– Choose from 18 TEAMS made up of blood thirsty, wisecracking Skeletal Deadheads, Armored Bruiserbots, Criminal Aliens, Mutated Humans and Monstrous Orcs.
– NBA Jam and NFL Blitz hall of fame commentator, Tim Kitzrow, gives unforgettable, adult-oriented play-by play commentary for every game.
– Use Dirty Tricks during game play to Bribe the Ref, throw Bombs, or equip Shotguns and Chainsaws to your players to inflict maximum carnage against the unsuspecting competition for real difference-making moments!
– 18 unique fields across the league offer landmines, booby traps, fire pits, toxic moats and buzz saws as fun but deadly obstacles.
– Play as MFL All-Stars Wham Neutron, Bomb Shady, Ghoulio Bones, and more who dominate the league with their rising kill counts and ferocious abilities.
– Multiple punishing play modes like SINGLE PLAY, PRACTICE, PLAYOFFS, or try to survive a FULL SEASON and reach the ultimate glory: THE MAYHEM BOWL!
– Make the most of POST-PLAY MAYHEM by bludgeoning your opponents with brass knuckles, body slams, and rib-crushing kicks after the whistle blows
– Exploding body parts, comically horrific deaths, and blood splatters fuel the MFL GORE FX visual experience.
MFL Overview Video
Mutant Football League
I primarily played the Nintendo Switch version of Mutant Football League, and the quick matches are a perfect pairing for portable play. While the port doesn't look quite as stunning as its other versions, the personality of each stadium still gets across clearly and it manages to looks good on the handheld's screen. It's also a fully featured title as it has online play in addition to local multiplayer (that can be played with one Joy-Con apiece). Considering the lack of football games on the device, it's easily the best way to experience some gridiron action.
For what was initially a failed Kickstarter by the series' original creator to make it to a final release like this is impressive in its own right, and it is one of the few arcade-centric football experiences currently on the market. Mutant Football League is fast, dirty fun, and definitely one of my favorite sports games in recent years.
Nit-picky things aside, you end up with a game that plays easier than Madden, is downright hilarious, and won't break the bank to purchase. It really could use a full set of teams (then maybe some fake ones) and players that can speak English, but it doesn't take long for the game to remind you why you are playing in the first place – to kick the snot out of your opponent by any means necessary.