Top Critic Average
Genres: Arcade, Fighting, Puzzle
Optional “Colorblind Mode” makes gems easier to distinguish for players with color blindness.
Pre-order your physical copy today to get free bonus goodies: a full-color instruction booklet and a transforming Crystal Cluster for fidgety fingers!"
- 19 unique playable characters, including Quote and Curly Brace from Cave Story, Isaac from The Binding of Isaac, Astro Boy and Black Jack from Tezuka Productions and many more.
- Each character has his or her own stage, musical theme, unique special attacks, and voice-acted exclamations.
- Build up your "Burst" Gauge with repeated combos to unleash more powerful attacks.
- Local and online multiplayer options to play against friends, family members, or challengers worldwide. Multiple single-player game modes, including arcade, survival mode, Tag team, and training mode.
- Wrap-around feature allows you to move falling pieces beyond the edge of the wall to reappear on the other side. Colorblind Mode makes gems easier to distinguish for players with color blindness.
Crystal Crisis Announcement Trailer - Nintendo Switch
Outside of those pesky load times, it's hard to find fault with Crystal Crisis. This is just a well-made game, a genuinely fun puzzler that challenges players to imagine new strategies with every character they try. And with memory mode beckoning me to play again and again, I don't imagine I'll be taking up any of the other Switch puzzle games for a long, long time.
Nicalis' marriage of puzzle and fighting game elements in the fan service-heavy Crystal Crisis coalesces in a largely satisfying experience. While the roster can feel unbalanced, loading times can be long and the story mode feels trite, the overarching, nuanced gameplay will keep players strategizing and returning to Crystal Crisis time and time again.