Reverie: Sweet As Edition
Top Critic Average
Genres: Puzzle, Adventure
Reverie is an action adventure game set on a fictional island in New Zealand, inspired by the legend of Maui and the Giant Fish where the demigod himself fishes up the North Island with a powerful fishhook.
- Six dungeons to fight and puzzle your way through.
- Use unique weapons and items to solve puzzles and defeat menacing bosses.
- Explore varied environments and find the secrets of Toromi Island.
- Collect hidden feathers from New Zealand’s many beautiful native birds.
- Story inspired by a Maori legend.
- Nightmare difficulty mode
- New minigame
- Quick select item wheel
- In-game achievement system
Reverie: Sweet As Edition Release Trailer
Reverie originally released on the PlayStation Vita and PS4 in 2018. In the year since its launch, Rainbite added a new “nightmare” difficulty, item select wheel, new sprites, updated dialogue and a new mini-game for the Switch's Sweet As Edition. Those extras are nice, but they don't give the world the anomalous personality it needs. There's no part of Reverie I can point to and say, “This is bad,” as nothing it does would warrant such a label. In fact, most of the game is rather pleasant, but it's a type of pleasantry that dissipates the moment I set down the controller.
I had a blast playing Reverie: Sweet As Edition. It’s a superb nostalgia trip which oozes charm and feels so right being on a Nintendo console. It honestly feels like it could have been created or endorsed by Nintendo themselves, it just has that magical feel and high quality to it. Some experienced players might be put off by its easy difficulty, but Reverie’s unique style and charisma makes it well worth experiencing as it’s a whole lot of fun that can be enjoyed by all.