The Adventures of Elena Temple
Top Critic Average
The game is a monochromatic puzzle platformer made to look as if it were created in the 80s. Overcome obstacles, figure out how to collect all the coins, find all the gems and remember your childhood while doing it! Progress through the game's dungeon through non-linear exploration and keep an open eye for secrets to find.
- A dungeon of 50+ rooms to overcome, each its own mini-level
- Open exploration, choose which way to go, but don't worry, a helpful map is just one button press away
- Challenging, old-school platforming
- Collect as many coins as you want, but we both know you want them all
- Coins will make you rich, but there's no escaping the dungeon without all the gems
- Secret scrolls to find for the more observant player
- Best of all, play the game on a selection of seven virtual old machines, from the Pomo D'or 4, to Maple and Some Toy and all the way to the NS-Bos PC
The Adventures of Elena Temple is just one game you can play on seven simulated machines. Aside from the different look, the game plays the same on all machines and has the exact same content! The purpose of these old machines is to remind you of the old days, so feel free to pick whichever you like best without any fear of missing out on game content.
The Adventures of Elena Temple - Release Trailer
The Adventures of Elena Temple does a solid job recreating a certain era of platform gaming, despite minor problems linked to level design. What's unfortunate is how more time, effort and focus seems to have gone into the fictional history of the game and the machines it can be played on for the sake of nostalgia, rather than the gameplay. It's nice there is reasoning behind the visual filters, but this and the silly story comes across as overbearing when the actual gameplay perfectly captures the feeling of nostalgia. It's a pity the developer didn't just release the game in its rawest form, cutting out the excess trimmings and adding in more playable content.
The Adventures of Elena Temple is a minimalist 2D action platformer that takes us back to a time when games where more simple… and we liked it that way! The different classic console skins you can use to play the game add a ton of nostalgia to the mix, and the tight gameplay mechanics make this one a fun and short game to play at home or on the go that is very easy to recommend.
The Adventures of Elena Temple is a great platformer in a super-cool package of retro novelty. If what you're looking for is a quick fix of good gameplay with some old-school flair, this is a perfect choice. However, if you are looking for extensive exploration or near-impossible platforming, this experience may be underwhelming to you.